Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Stylized Art

 This week’s topic choice was to pick two pieces from the chapter and discuss how they are branching off from naturalistic to more of a stylized picture. I chose to talk about the piece about Christ washing his disciple’s feet from page 451 and the virgin and child with saints and angels on page 245. Both of these pieces involve more stylized artistic elements versus naturalistic.
First of all, naturalistic art is that of a realistic picture. This includes the aspect of innocence and honesty in people in a realistic place. Whereas, stylized art is more manipulation to the natural look and elements of people and the environment.
 The first piece that caught my eye is of Christ washing his disciple’s feet. This particular art piece is very interesting to me. The reason why it is very interesting is because the colors stand out a lot and it has to do with religion which I am very interested in. The color that I see a lot is gold which means this piece is valuable. This is more of a relaxed art piece because it has a religious belief and there is soothing colors around the main character of the art piece. On the left side of the art piece it looks like there are people in need of help with their lives. It looks like the people on the left side are giving them advice, bread, and water. The main character looks sacred and holy due to the people staring and hoping to meet him/her next. The people are not wearing shoes and it looks like the main character is also providing water to clean them out.
In the art piece of the Virgin the child and angels and saints, there are five people in it. The three characters look like the main ones due to them having the halos on their head. At first when you notice the art piece we think that the main character in the middle is standing while holding the baby. Then we see that she is actually sitting down due to looking at the gold looking chair on the back. This shows a stylized characteristic because the people sitting in the front are not painted shorter than the people standing behind them. The baby does not look as realistic as the rest of the other characters, due to the small head. The two other characters look very interested in something on the roof or they are just doing that for the painter. All the hair on these characters are very different. At first I thought these characters were somehow related but I think they are not by the texture of their face and their hair.
I personally liked both of these pieces, hence why I chose them. At first glance, the piece of Christ washing his disciples feet stood out to me because it has a lot to reveal and ponder on. And the Virgin and child piece is so simple that it makes you try and imagine possibilities of what it could be trying to reveal. 

4 comments:

  1. You did a very good job describing the pieces! I agree with you on how natural art is honest,, that's a great way to label realism. When I first looked at Christ washing his disciples I also thought it was a lot to ponder on. And the Virgin and child is mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good way to start off the blog with a good reminder/explanation of naturalistic art. With the first piece that “caught” your eye you had given a good explanation on what it means to you with a good shiny hold and soothing colors. I didn’t think about looking on the people to the left giving advice but they are giving him bread and water. As for the main character he did have an odd look upon his face but I wouldn’t go as far to say scared (though we all have our opinions of course). To the next piece you chose I agree quite a bit upon the unnatural baby being with a very small head and the hair is quite unique for each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you organized your post. For example, I like that before you began describing how the pieces look more stylized versus naturalistic you explained the meaning of stylized and naturalistic art. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed you blog! And I really liked what you wrote that ‘stylized art is more manipulation to the natural look and elements of people and the environment.’ I liked the way you describe two pieces of works in detail. And I also like the first piece and I have same opinion with you.

    ReplyDelete